Saturday, October 18, 2008

2nd Blog on RSS

It's been about a week since I have set up RSS feeds and and igoogle pages. As I pointed out in my first blog about setting up RSS I was using it heavily before I got my assignment for ET course. My morning routine is still pretty much the same except that because I have added a few RSS feeds like this one I found on in education called MAT Strand 2 Blog which led me to EduHound.com which is a pretty useful website that has links to sites for lesson ideas on just about any topic. I am starting my Fitness Unit next week and it led me to a useful website that is helping me with my planning and teaching of the unit.

On igoogle one of my favorite pages to look at is a "Quotes" page that I set up. It is great as I can read and look at a lot of quotes at one time. I usual take a picture of the one I like and I store them in a file so that I can reference them later for when I want to use one in class or to share with my basketball team.

I have also came across website called YouTube APIs and Tools that can help you figure out ways you can access YouTube. One of them is a way to put a YouTube search engine in your own application or websites. I have not figured out how to do it yet, but maybe you can.

One of the podcasts that I am currently subscribed to is call PTI Pardon The Interuption. Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon face off on the latest sports topics. You can also see them on ESPN, but what I like about podcasts are that I can listen to them when I have the time instead of making sure I watch the ESPN episode that airs there show. They are fun to listen to as they rarely agree with each other and they can get after it and have a lot of friendly banter. The only thing I don't like are the commercials, but they are short and I can fast forward through them if I want to.

How does this all this help me learn? Good question. First of all using RSS does save me time as all I need to go is to one place to get the stuff that is important to me. But most importantly it keeps me connected to the information that I want. I also find myself looking for more information that can help me be more efficient and help me be a better teacher.

No comments: